One of my high-and-mighty pet peeves as a new dispatcher was the mislabeling of crimes. Armed with new knowledge of the difference between a robbery and burglary, I briefly succumbed to the temptation of demonstrating my superior intellect to the minions that dared call me with inappropriately labeled complaints.
“I’ve been robbed!” was a frequent complaint.
Robbery, it turns out, has to be something stolen from a person by force or threat of force. It is most often accompanied by a weapon – except in the case of Chuck Norris in which he is the weapon.
In order to quickly sift through this error, I discovered that if I asked the person what weapon was used, it immediately lead to the quick discovery of what the complaint actually was.
“There wasn’t a weapon. I loaned my car to a friend three weeks ago, and now he won’t give it back.”
That went all the way from a felony crime to a civil breach of trust.
This technique served me very well for months until I took a call from a fabric store.
“We’ve been robbed!” came the panicked plea for help.
Calmly and condescendingly I replied, “What kind of weapon was used?”
“A gun!” she gasped.
At this point I was stumped. Apparently she didn’t know how this game worked. I would ask about the weapon, and she would in turn tell me that something happened that really wasn’t a big deal. An armed robbery with a gun is a really big deal!
I decided right then that it made more sense to pursue the worst-case scenario rather than assume everything was no big deal.
My whole perspective of reporting crimes has changed. Stealing cookies from the cookie jar is a whole new ball game if I happen to have sewing scissors in you hands at the time. I wonder if you can be guilty of a violent crime on accident?
ReplyDeleteI love these stories. It makes me want to call 911 with some crazy story!
ReplyDeleteAlso: I had no clue what the difference between "robbery" and "burglery" was. I want to do some pun here with the word "Hamburglery" but I don't have it in me.
I have learned much. I now know that it was no big deal when I burglarized (not robbed) your root beer from the fridge.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I wasn't using weapons during my cleptomaniac phase in Jr. High. It makes it all seem so innocent now.....
ReplyDeleteWho robs a fabric store? Utah crafters are really a depraved lot, I'm sure of it!
ReplyDeleteWAHOOOOOO!!!!
ReplyDeleteI think it would be worth it to just take it like a man when something serious does happen to get to feel smug all the other times. :)
ReplyDelete