There were fordy or so kids ranging in ages from 6 to 47. I had reservations about the kid sporting the graying goatee.
We picked up her fancy name tag and posed for some type of picture in front of a green screan.
Then she assumed her position in the front row - she was contestant #8. It didn't seem to matter if you were early or leight in the order - it was more important which word you droo.
First round she drew MANGLE.
"Em Ay En," she began.
". . . Gee El Ee." whew!
The tension was so thick you could cut it with a nife.
She got through her second round word NYLON, and then the group advanced to the intermeddiate words.
SUSCEPTIBLE - was her third rownd word. "Es Ewe Es See Ee Pee Tee Eye Bee El Ee." She jumped through that one like a champ.
For the fourth round she drew SORGHUM.
"Ahh," she thought, "one of the five top cereal crops in the world, along with wheat, oats, corn, and barley. It originates in Africa, having been cultivated in Egypt in antiquity, and the largest producer of sorghum in the modern era is still Africa, although the crop has spread to southern Asia and the Americas as well."
"Es Oh Are," she began, "Gee Seven Ewe Em."
"Bing!" went the bell. "I'm sorry; that's incorrect." said the judge.
11th Place - and a participation award earned a trip . . .
. . . to Peach City for a milkshake.
Nice job Anna!
SORGHUM!!! ewe gotta bee kidin meh!
ReplyDeleteshe was still the cutest kid there by miles though! :)
Wow! Great Job Anna!!
ReplyDeleteObviously Anna didn't write this post. She should learn you a few things 'bout spellin'
ReplyDeleteOh I love that last picture of Anna. She's so pretty!
ReplyDelete11th place isn't too shabby! Although I think they made up the word "sorghum".
That word must have been sticky like SORGHUM!
ReplyDeletewoaw, that's grate. Wat a smart gurl.
ReplyDeleteWell done Anna!
ReplyDeleteI think I would've misspelled mangel.
ReplyDeleteI looked up the IPA spelling because I not only have never heard of that word, but by its spelling I wouldn't know how to pronounce it. I think I'd be tempted just for the heck of it to spell it "Sour Gum." That outta cut the stupid tension! Thank you, Anna. Now we know. Hope your milk shake was good. :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats Anna-I love her hair in the last picture. How beautiful~
ReplyDelete11th place is very respectable. You should let her watch Akeelah and the Bee, it's inspiring for spellers. Too bad they don't win for looks!
ReplyDeleteShe gets 1st place though in most beautiful! Don't feel too bad Anna, Spelling is hererity, so it's not your fagult!
ReplyDeleteShe is sooooo pretty! and smart too! I would have misspelled mangle!!
ReplyDelete