So this year our ward activities committee decided it would be fun to have a chili cookoff. We went up to the Brigham City Stake Girls Camp (just outside of Mantua) and enjoyed a smörgåsbord of fantastic chilies.
The judging was intense. I'm not saying that Brother Kohler's wife had a pony in the race, but . . .
Becca and Ellie were extremely hopeful mom would win.
The judges settled on a winner
And awarded the Golden Spoon to Sister Burt
They awarded Mary "The Hottest" . . .
. . . and they liked her chili too.
White Chicken Chili
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast,
cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium onion
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great dry northern white beans,
rinsed and drained
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
Directions
- In large saucepan, sauté chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add beans, chilies and seasonings and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer (uncovered) for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in sour cream and whipping cream.
- Serve immediately.
A few comments:
ReplyDelete1. The 'hottest' chili award was won by accident; I didn't measure when I used pepper.
2. The recipe came from my sister, Katie, who is my culinary inspiration.
3. I always omit the cayenne. Always.
4. The ward party was super fun -- way to go Activities Committee!
Mary, way to go! I love your White Chicken Chili. It's one of my all time favorites! And we always knew you were a Hot Mama!
ReplyDeleteFor sure she won "The Hottest". But did her chili win a anything?......
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorites too! LOVE! the cowboy hat. Mary is the hottest. :)
ReplyDeleteMmm Me likee white chicken chili!
ReplyDeleteAnd that hat...that hat is awesome.
Thanks for the recipe! It sounds delicious; we'll have to try it soon!
ReplyDeleteMary, I agree: You are HOT!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI admit I told husband that if I didn't win he would have to fix dinner for a week. I am not sure if "most creative" is a compliment or what? I did however enjoy my box of Boston Baked Beans.
ReplyDeleteHOLD UP! We are STILL talking about Mary's chili in the Governor's office, and we all vote that Mary should have taken that darn golden spoon! Note: We are having a chili cookoff for our staff hween party, and I'm totally making Mary's so that I win).
ReplyDelete@Ginger:
ReplyDeletemake sure you measure the pepper!
SHE WAS ROBBED! I've had that Chili and it's THE BEST!
ReplyDelete