Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Princess Mary - Reformed Flower Killer
When Mary was expecting our first little one, I noted a disturbing trend in our home. It seemed that we received an abundance of plant and flower house-warming gifts that year and none of those little plants lived longer than two weeks.
I mentioned to Mary that I was a little nervous about bringing a special little baby into the house when every other lifeform that had joined us had met an untimely end. I was half joking, but Mary just casually remarked that it was much easier keeping babies alive than plants.
This past year one of our neighbors gave us a plant which Mary promptly killed. Mary tossed it in the garbage, and the neighbor noticed it. So our sweet, wonderful neighbor rescued the plant, nursed it back to life, and gave it to Mary (again.)
Mary then proceeded to kill it again.
So here is photo evidence of our flowerbox plants that for this first time have lived past the end of May. Yay Mary! I hope this is a step towards reformation and not just a lucky twist of fate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



A couple of comments:
ReplyDelete1. Dear Scott, you make it sound like killing the plants is an active rather than passive endeavor.
2. Killing a plant that was given as a gift and having the neighbor who gave it to you nurse it back to life and then killing it again? Now that's embarrassing.
3. The only reason the petunias are still alive is because of wet June. In fact, I should thank Scott for posting this so I'll remember to water now. Maybe he did it as a hint...
4. Babies are easier than plants; they cry when they need to be watered.
ReplyDeleteYOu have to be kidding. Your neighbor found it IN THE GARBAGE and then gave it BACK TO YOU!?!?!? that's embarrassing. Whoa.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on keeping your plants alive and well this year. Humiliation is one of the very best motivators.
Patti - don't use capital letters. It's already humiliating enough ;)
ReplyDeleteThat is embarrassing. We have a wet June to thank for the apperance of hard work bringing a lawn back to life. Although I was out today and noticed that the crab grass is the only thing making it look green.
ReplyDeleteMary, I feel you. I kill most every thing too. My mom is always trying to pawn off her plants on me, but I have to tell her straight up that I will kill them.
ReplyDeleteWait--your neighbor took back something she gave you coz she saw it in your garage, and gave it back to you again? Gees...what a weird neighbor.
ReplyDeleteOh wow! I can't believe she gave it back to you!!! That is so funny!!!!
ReplyDeleteMary, You need to know that it's not your fault. It is a trait handed down to you from your mother. Yes, it's hereditary. All plants and pet die within a short period of time. Babies are another matter all together. They do not fall under the plant/pet curse. I've noticed that your babies thrive beautifully! And that's what counts.
ReplyDeleteNo, the plant was in the garbage, not the garage. The garbage can sits right next to her fence. I should have shoved it down further:)
ReplyDeleteYou're amazing with orchids, Mom, so I don't think it's hereditary.
ReplyDeleteHere is a tip, Mary...think of your flowers as children. And think of your children as flowers. Um, I haven't doomed them have I?
ReplyDeleteI think the real question here is: Why does your neighbor rummage through your garbage?
ReplyDeleteWe do have pretty cool garbage. You might want to take a gander yourself. ;)
ReplyDelete