Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hot Dog Chefs

We had the three boys enjoy a sleepover (and Nintendo marathon) a week and a half ago at our place. I suggested to Mary a camping theme. When we talked about what to feed them, I thought it might be fun to cook their own food. When I refer to the fun, I mean that I was going to have a great time teasing them when they couldn't get a fire started.

So I split some wood for them, gave them three matches and a few sheets of newspaper, and left them to their own devices. I went inside, counted to 100, and then hopped back outside to initiate the scout-skill mockery. I anticipated seeing three boys futily blowing on the last ember clinging to a burnt piece of newspaper tucked under a 4 inch log.

Imagine my chagrin to discover a roaring fire and preparations already beginning for advanced hot dog cookery.

Curse you BSA!!!!

I guess they aren't little kids anymore.



















8 comments:

  1. Not only did they cook their dogs, but they roasted marshmallows, put out the fire, cleaned up all, pitched a tent and got up at the crack of dawn (to continue the marathon).

    Boys are easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your backyard fireplace! Nice.

    We're coming over for hot dogs and marshmallows next weekend. just so ya know.

    We had a sleepover here last night- I wish I would have given them some matches and some newspaper- that was a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive. I think it's the Dixon genes that make those responsible boys "easy". I'm trying to imagine the exact same scenario with Noah, Lucas, and Ezra. You probably wouldn't make it to 100 before destruction, chaos, and unspeakable things took place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girls would look at that stuff and wonder why you didn't give them lip gloss, dresses, candy and an iPod.

    Girls aren't easy.

    Thank goodness for Max.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It had never ceased to amaze me what boys will do when hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never have I heard you curse the BSA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what really scares me is that you left 10 to 13 year old boys ALONE with matches. I was surprised when you didn't put that your whole back yard was on fire after the 100 count.

    ReplyDelete