
Scout Camp wasn't exactly what I remembered. Growing up Scout Camp was more like a lesson in extreme Social Darwinism. There was a lot of yelling (and some swearing) from the Scoutmaster. There was always a fight or two between boys. There was a significant amount of bullying. Someone always set some wet shoes close to the fire and they ended up melting. And someone always partially severed a digit trying to cut carrots or potatoes. (I still check potatoes for blood every time.)

Scout Camp is now a little more mild and the staff is a little more hands-off.
Here are some of the activities we enjoyed:
We shot rifles

We gutted fish

We sharpened sticks (for attempted eye-removal accidents later)

Steven played sink your opponent's canoe.

He didn't win - but had a good time anyway

And we played with fire - all the shoes remained safe.

All-in-all it had to be considered a good week. Next year I'm going to bring a sharper knife.
They smelled like they had a good time. :)
ReplyDeleteI liked 4-H camp better. It was co-ed.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I think we need to come up with an award for being a great father and name it after you for taking vacation time to go with Steven.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a good time. A sharper knife a great idea, and maybe some safety glasses. I've heard that there are some pizza places that will deliver to scout camps for an extra fee. Actually, it was to a girls camp the pizza was delivered. So, now I've got to ask, Is delivering pizza a girl's job or a boy's job?
ReplyDelete"smelled like they had a good time"--LOL Mary D., you funny!
ReplyDeleteSharper knives are always advisable. Otherwise you'll go home cranky that you wasted all of that room in your suitcase on the first-aid kit.
ReplyDeleteSteven sure is handsome devil isn't he?!!! Love that kid- I'm glad you guys had fun.
ReplyDelete