Today Anna competed in the Foothill Elementary Spelling Bee. She competed for the first time last year and got tripped up by the word "margarine." She knew the word, but something about being in front of some scary judges and the whole school can be a little overwhelming.
The judges were scarier this year, but Anna made it through six rounds into third place.
In the seventh round Anna was narrowly defeated by the word "syntax."
As a finalist, Anna will compete in the district event in a couple of weeks. Go Anna!
Yay Anna!
ReplyDeleteNow we get to practice more. Lots more. Lots. (Excitement waning)
Special thanks to Mrs. Bingham (pictured with Anna) and Mrs. Roundtree (pictured with the finalists).
ReplyDeleteAnna...You go girl! I'm so proud of you. The only way I could compete is if they let me use spell check.
ReplyDeleteNot only is Anna beautiful,but she's smart too!
ReplyDeleteSyntax schmyntax! You rock Anna!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome! What is with you Wolfords and Margarine?!!
ReplyDeletegood girl!! Maybe she'll run into Sean!
ReplyDeleteDiddo on the Margerine
Fatnastic, Anna! Gud jawb! Yous rock.
ReplyDeletePS I competed in a school-wide spelling bee in 5th grade, and lost on the third round. That wasn't so bad. The BAD part was they took a picture of me sitting on the floor with my head buried in my hands, THEN STUCK IT ON THE BILLBOARD ACROSS FROM THE CAFETERIA for the entire school to see. The word "Bummer!" was written beneath it. No one changed that board for two years. I remember.
ReplyDeleteThese pictures are much better than that one.
LOL, Heather!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm positive Anna could beat me. Syntax... S-I-N-T-A-C-K-S...syntax. :)
You know what they say about hard words, they come in threes.
ReplyDeleteWatch out for semantics and pragmatics.
Good job Anna.
Btw,
Maybe you could mix in something like this next time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgv_Q825Bo
Great work Anna!
ReplyDelete