Monday, January 11, 2010

Nine O'Clock Church

The best thing about early church is the Sunday afternoon nap. Mary always has a great lunch in the crock pot or dutch oven waiting for us, so well before 2:00 we all settle down for a good family snooze. Everyone participates, and even the most ardent critics succumb to a warm, soft chair.

The dilemma with the nap, is deciding how long should you sleep. It seems silly to set an alarm clock to wake yourself up from a nap, but more than once I have woken up after pounding out a good three hours. (Mary was pretty sure I was dead, but the Sunday nap is so good she didn't want to risk waking me - you can always call the funeral home on Monday.)

You are probably in the zone if you are between 60 and 90 minutes. Anything longer than that and you risk staring at the ceiling fan in the bedroom for 1/2 as long as you slept over the 90 minutes. Three hour nap? It's going to cost you 111,700 revolutions of the ceiling fan. It's like counting sheep only faster.







3 comments:

  1. I love it! That's exactly what Bart was saying yesterday! Isn't it so great to be home at noon with the only thing to do for the day eat and nap???? NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww! she looks like a little angel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can get up after a three hour nap on Sunday, you are doing WAY better than me. 3 or less leaves me with my heart beating fast and a stomach ache the rest of the day..., I mean night, till I can get myself back to sleep at 2 or 3 a.m. I am NOT a fan of morning church, because the unavoidable Sunday nap inevitably messes up the rest of my week! That only happens to me with Sunday naps though... normal weekdays, I'm always up for a little nap if I can get it. :) I may just be doing it to myself because 7 out of my 8 years of marriage I've had 9am church and I'm tired of it. We have 11 this year though. :) yay.

    ReplyDelete