Friday, February 12, 2010

Toof-less

When I was in second grade, Mrs. Van Dyke had little paper teeth with each child's name on them hung above the chalk board on one wall of her classroom. Every time you lost a real tooth, she placed a little star on your paper tooth. Many of my classmates began the year with lots of stars and hockey-player smiles to prove it. As the school year progressed, those paper teeth filled up with a glut of multi-colored stars. All those teeth except mine.

My paper tooth started the year starless and ended the year starless. If I was a sneetch, you can imagine what my belly was lacking.

I can remember feeling like I was a failure as a baby tooth shedder. That paper tooth was a constant reminder that I still had a mouthful of baby teeth - BABY TEETH!

And if the starless paper wasn't bad enough, everytime someone lost a tooth, there was a reminder from at least 10 of my classmates that I still had a baby mouth. None of my teeth were even wobbly.

I've repressed the age that I finally lost my first baby tooth, but I can still remember really wanting to make a big deal of it to a contemporary who was not impressed in the least. Hmmmm . . .


Becca has far outdone her father by losing her two front teeth just one week apart from each other, and it only took the tooth fairy five nights to retrieve the first one. (Down to two nights for the second.)

Go Becca!









Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Becca, I love your smile. It just doesn't get better that yours. The only time I saw a smile with a bigger hole, was your Aunt Missy, she lost all 4 top teeth and all 4 bottom teeth at the same time. The only problem with that is its hard to sip from a straw!

    Way to go Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Becca! and scott- I'm sorry. No stars for thars. I'd wonder what Mrs. Van Dyke's reasoning was behind the tooth chart. Apparently she caught on that it was cruel- she didn't do it by the time I got there... or at least, if she did- I repressed it.

    I had to have my last 4 baby teeth pulled when I was 14!!! I was a failure in tooth shedding too. I'm so ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw I found out about this post fro google buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pics are gorgeous!

    I was a baby teeth failure also :( Apparently Mrs. Van Dyke was doing the same thing by the time I came around (you must have repressed it Mary). Big jerk. I actually had lost two teeth by then, but it stayed the same all year and I had the fewest in the class. Luke's in first grade and has thankfully lost six teeth because his teacher totally has a star chart on the bulletin board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is she??? She's ahead of Jadon that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete