Lots of folks try this, so I thought I'd give it a go.
Anna went to Brigham this past week to spend the day with some friends. Mary dropped her off early and I picked her up late. I thought the long drive might be a perfect opportunity to try out a time lapse drive. I set the tripod up on the front seat with the two front legs going down to the floorboard and the third leg resting semi-precariously on the passenger seat.
I wasn't exactly sure how to set the exposure of the camera. I ended up with an open aperture of 4.0, ISO 1000, and a relatively slow 1/50th shutter speed. Some blur seemed nice. While you usually turn off image stabilization when you're on a tripod, I left it on figuring the car would be moving.
After travelling only a block or two, I realized that I would need to secure the tripod with my right hand anytime I turned. This wouldn't be a big deal except the car is a standard - holding a tripod and getting to second gear is pretty tricky to do simultaneously.
So here it is -
Lessons learned:
clean your windshield first
make sure the camera is pointed perfectly straight ahead - it feels a little off to me
it moves fast enough that being a little out of focus isn't a big deal
the lights are what stand out - try to pick out paths to drive that give the viewer something to look at - tailgate if you need to
Very cool! Wish we would have done this in Zion!
ReplyDelete