I find this past week has been a wonderful series of contradictions and oppositions. Let me explain.
1rst: Is the fact that at the beginning of the week I made a goal to not only work out like a mad-man but to also start eating healthier. (Which helps when your companion is a wonderful chef) So I thought I was all set and things were going to go great until the week began.
I could not have been more totally unprepared.
First off is that my dear, sweet and adoring mother sent me a package (hooray!!!) and so I was super stoked to get some things I desperately needed and a few things on the side (Remember that green yarn? That's going to be a scarf for Tommy). However my dear sweet mother also had the wonderful idea to put Oreo's and Reese's into the package. Disclaimer: The following is not for the light of heart or of stomach. Some people have an addiction to cocaine... I have an addiction to Oreo's. I thought I was practicing self-control very well until I realized the package was gone and there were cookie crumbs all over my face as if I had just participated in sweet Oreo genocide.
2nd is that we had a stirring speech in elder's quorum about opposition in all things. Did it keep me awake? Yes. Did it stir my soul? Definitely. Did the zeal and passion of the narration make me just a little nervous that it might chase off some of our LA's and INV's with fiery indignation? Just a little bit.
That's ok though! I realized during the lesson that if you're going to talk about the gospel to be passionate about it.
To some up the base events of our week I and my fearless companion Elder Cruz:
Visited a member who I've never seen happier in a nursing home.
Fought through the black Friday mob that was even further enraged at the sight of name tags (that's a week earlier here in Canada, for those of you U.S people)
And did a lot of preparation for a nativity festival that's coming up soon in December.
For those of you clever folk who have noticed that my spelling is much more Canadian than it normally I send my congratulations. The spell check on these computers doesn't know proper 'merican spelling so that's why I say realised instead of realized. I realize that you can't see them but there are red squiggly lines all over the place on my emails. It makes me want to go just a little bit crazy...
Just a little bit though.
Anyways I suppose that as you're reading this from your comfy chairs I should share something with you.
In Jesus the Christ ( a must-read) The Pharisees ask Christ if it is lawful to pay taxes unto Ceasar (not the salad dressing). It's a double edged questions. If he had answered 'yes' they would have accused him of being unfaithful to the law of Moses and the Jewish nation. If he had said 'no' they would have accused him with treason against the Romans. However after asking for a penny he answered "Who's inscription is on the penny?" They answered him Ceasar. To which he replied "Render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's and unto God that which is God's".
This lesson that I love is this. That each coin has the face and shape of a person or nation, and to that nation we obey the law of the land and pay what they have asked. "Render unto God that which is God's" Means the same thing. As children of God we have the inscription of a divine being and the potential to become like Him. With that in mind we must follow His laws and pay what He has asked of us.
Great stuff, Jesus really knew how to throw down on false doctrine.
Anywho I'll chat with ya'll later.
Elder Wolford.
P.S The snow's gone but it's still cold.
No comments:
Post a Comment