Saturday, June 6, 2009

Best Toddler Toy Ever

Do you know what the best toy ever is?

It's the garden hose half charged with a good stout nozzle.

We discovered this toy with Steven when he was just a little under 20 months old. I thought it might be fun for him to spray the mud off the shovel. He quickly discovered that while spraying the shovel was fun, spraying his parents was more fun. Of course I ran when he sprayed me, which put us in a dilemma: Steven was protected by a fence on north side and the side of the house on the west. The approach from the south side of the house was a kill zone about 20 feet long and you can't get to his east side without going through the same kill zone. Did I mention that I set him up right on top of the faucet so we couldn't turn it off until we were two feet away from him.

Steven kept Mary and I at bay with that hose for 20 minutes. He squealed with delight everytime one of us would run away and he kept fine tuning his aim to be more and more effective. We eventually turned the master valve in the basement to get the hose away from him without getting soaked.

While not as lethal as Steven, Thomas does a pretty good job keeping the enemies away too. This time, however, we have four kids acting like proxy parents to serve as targets.














Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Oh...I love those "Steven" stories...back when he was the only one and the center of all of our lives. I remember feeling so lucky when Mary would ask me to babysit. These pics remind me so much of that cute little Steven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great pictures. And you have such FANTASTIC material to work with. Have you ever noticed that the toys that are the cheapest or the stuff you put into the garbage seems to be what they love to play with the most.
    Oh, and I love the designer jeans. They cost more than the kind without holes. Classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is such a cute little boy. I love the very serious face biting his tongue. Both my brother and dad do that when they are concentrating really hard. We haven't experimented with the hose yet because we'd have a giant mud put in our yard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO CUTE!

    My kids are still totally obsessed with the garden hose. I'm so glad we have 2ndary water now.

    ReplyDelete