Friday, June 3, 2011

Utah Wind Symphony

So last year I overheard my stand partner in the 23rd Army Band, Elizabeth, mentioning the creation of a new wind symphony. The goal was to have professional level players tackle challenging and rewarding music. It would begin as a volunteer organization with the goal of becoming a professional wind symphony. There are tons of extremely talented musicians in Utah and not very many opportunities to showcase those talents.

So I thought I would be supportive and mentioned that if Elizabeth ever got in a pickle and needed a bassoon player, I would love to help them out.

"You're not good enough." she said completely deadpan.

Unfortunately she was completely accurate in her assessment. That being said, the chaotic forces of unforseeability smiled on me and I was privileged to play third bassoon for all three of the inaugural season's concerts.

The music was wonderful, and it really has made me fall in love with playing the bassoon again. (I love playing in the 23rd Army Band; I'm pretty sure Sousa had a personal vendetta against bassoon players.)

The concert we played last night concluded with David Maslanka's Symphony Number 4. I have very rarely felt emotionally and physically spent after concluding a piece, but last night I was. Elizabeth invested so much of herself that she ended up in the hospital after the concert.

Steven and Anna came with me and sat in the audience. They both remained attentive throughout and extremely well-behaved - or so I thought. When Mary asked them questions about the Maslanka piece, Anna asked how she knew about it. Mary replied that she heard it on YouTube.

Anna, with a horrified expression on her face, replied, "Oh no! Could you hear me whispering?"

Salt Lake Tribune article










Edit:  Salt Lake Tribune Review

9 comments:

  1. The clarinets play just their mouthpieces? I kinda want to see that... or I guess I could look it up on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is neat. On the YouTube link it is at the 22: mark. (Personally I think our folks outplayed the Navy Band)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my defense: Scott is lying and I never said such a mean thing. I may have snorted, I may have rolled my eyes but I have no recollection of his version of this story. I swear;-) In fact, I never say anything mean...except to brass players for whom I reserve great amounts of wrath. Some might call Scott a sub but he really is more of a pickle extractor and 3 times now I have said to him, "We literally could not have done it with out you." People in UWS now chant, "We Love Scott! We love Scott!" when they see him walk into rehearsals because they know, he has just extracted us from a pickle.

    http://166.70.44.73/sltrib/entertainment/51939646-81/symphony-band-utah-concert.html.csp

    That is the link to the review which is waaay cooler than the article. Thank you Scott for being my pickle man and nailing it when the moment called on you to nail it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could have really milked that comment of Anna! She may never again dare to even think about whisper in public again! (Just kidding Anna). We do love Scott, and he LOVES pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott! We love Scott! We Love Scott!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right- that was awesome! Oh, I'm sure you out-played them by miles, but I still got chills- that is amazing! When you put yours up on you tube could you skip the flash-intro thing at the beginning. That was annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooo jealous!
    You looked great on the Trib review, Scott!

    ReplyDelete