Monday, October 17, 2016

Missionary Letter #11 - Flat Earth

I love my companion, but sometimes he doesn't tell me things that would really save me from a lot of stress. For example this last week we had our interviews with the mission president. I thought it was going to go something like this.

President Shields: Go ahead and sit down Elder Wolford how are you doing?"

Me: Aw great President, how about yourself?

President Shields: Good thank you... (pause for silence) I know you're hiding something from me, why don't we start with all the mistakes you've made... ever.

I was 100% sure that it was going to be like a baptismal interview but to my (stress relieving) surprise I had a wonderful chat about Belleville,how I'm coming along as a missionary and how we're doing as a companionship. Afterwards I got to talk to Sister Shields (who is just as awesome) and she complimented us on how many great ideas we'd come up with for finding new investigators and teaching them the gospel. Honestly I didn't know how to respond to that. I really think that it wasn't us but the Spirit, that and most of the new projects we're working on have yet to succeed or fail, but I'm confident that if nothing else we will touch the heart of someone out there. You never know what seeds you're planting.



This week at District Conference one of our Returning Members was accepted to receive the Priesthood, it was an awesome experience and he was so happy. Although the really surprising part is that a branch buddy also got called to receive it. We didn't get to stay for the ordination but you could tell they were both so happy afterwards and they could feel a difference.

Story: there are a lot of interesting and fun people here in Belleville, and it just happened that we were teaching someone for a while and the lesson was just kicking off when the guy said

Guy: "I just want you both to know that I believe the Earth is flat, and here is my evidence for that."

Us: pause

Us: pause

Me: So let's talk about church.

It didn't go quite like that but he  did proceeded to procure a list of documents and Biblical scriptures that 'proved' the flat earth theory... At the time we had no idea how to respond to this but decided that a belief in a flat earth does not in fact interfere with eternal salvation. It was awesome. The guy is like 6' 7'' and the dictionary definition of a biker. It was surprising he had so much scriptural knowledge. Now we just need to get him to read the Book of Mormon.



The weather's getting colder down (up?) here. The trees are the most amazing colors and when you drive by it looks like the forest is almost on fire. Of course that also means that hockey has started and that is going to be awesome for contacting (whoot whoot). The rookie player for the Maples scored 4 points in his first game. That alone is an awesome conversation starter.

So anyways all's well here in Bellville, although I've noticed more and more American cars passing through recently. Either because it's skiing season or because they want homes before the mass flood of immigrants come driving/running/crawling to the safety of Canada. I think both reasons are good. If you want more details I'd recommend reading the latest Story Monster blog post (sponsor).

Guess what I'll be dressing up as for Halloween? I'll reveal it next week with pictures :)

 Until then

Elder Wolford.




No comments:

Post a Comment