So this week we had a lot of wonderful things happen.
First off, we had a baptism!!!! (Applause)
Second we had the wonderful opportunity to not get a call for transfers last night, which means me and Elder Robinson and I are companions for one more transfer. (Booyah!!!)
So now that I've established the basic outline of our dynamic week let's get into story time (I promise I'll go in detail for the baptism... Later in the email of course :) )
So there's this fantastic kid in our ward named Juan. He's over-all one of the greatest people I think I've ever had the privilege of meeting. Despite his testimony and his love of the gospel he's never really shown a desire to serve a mission. Something that my companion and I have always wanted to help him consider is how a mission could help him.
So going back a few days we found a new investigator who agreed that we could share a lesson with her. We didn't know what the situation was so we decided that bringing him along would hit two birds with one stone. We'd have a third male (just in case) and we'd also try to help him feel the spirit of the mission.
So we get him and drive to the appointment. Get out and walk to the door, pasted on is a note that basically says, "Not interested."
My companion and I shrugged it off, this was a normal week for us, it came with the gig. Juan, however, seemed to contemplate over it. I began to worry that this wouldn't shed the mission in a positive light for him. On the drive back to his house he asked us "How can you guys just shrug it off?" I joked that it came with the job but then my companion said that we were serving not for the bad times but for the wonderful moments when the heaven's seemed to open and the Lord smiled down.
Juan grinned, and as he got out of the car he said, "I guess I'll have to remember that for my mission." Then he walked away. (Que explosion in the backdrop)
I remember having a similar experience when the missionaries asked me to come over for a member appointment. I drove down the street to the Hess's home and met them there on their bikes. In the twenty minutes we spent there we shared the message of the Restoration, gave a prayer over the home and then left. In that brief time I felt the Spirit testify to me of the truthfulness of that message, and I'm glad that Juan was able to feel some of it too.
Anyways about the baptism Sharon is now a member, the program was wonderful and the funniest thing was that she brought to of her friends who before the program looked at the church as if we were some kind of cult, but by the end they were smiling and grinning and thanking everyone for letting them come.
To put it bluntly---
Awesome
Loves to all,
Elder Wolford
No comments:
Post a Comment