Saturday, May 16, 2009

Special Olympics Torch Run

I've carved out a little niche for myself as the official Box Elder County Special Olympics Torch Run Photographer. Last year it consisted of balancing myself on the trunk of a patrol car and using a point-&-shoot to try to get one or two usable shots.

This year I sat in the back of the very fancy Rhino Patrol Vehicle (golf cart on steroids) and brought to bear the entire power of the 70-200 L IS F/2.8 with the 1.4 TC. We're going to forget for a second that I used a cropped sensor. If you imagine that I have a full-frame, I might be able to trick you into thinking that I have FIVE HUNDRED MM OF FOCAL LENGTH!!!!

All-in-all this is a wonderful event. The first athlete meets the torch on SR13 just off of Main Street about 900 North. The torch is then escorted and traded about every block until the McDonald's at 700 South. Except for an athlete that decided he needed to blow out the torch, everything went great.

These are special souls, and I thoroughly enjoy supporting the Special Olympics in my own little insignificant way.




Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Love that lens....love even more how much you love that lens. One day, I'm sure, you'll have the full frame. You're addiction has only just begun.
    I love the pictures...yay for you having a soft spot in your heart for the Special Olympics. You're not just a bitter old Wolford after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that 'blowing out the torch' series. That's really fun. I had no idea you were the official photographer. Do you send them to the paper of anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I turn them over to the administrators and they turn them over to the local chapter of the Special Olympics. Hopefully they will use one or two for publicity photos, but most of them will probably just get distributed to the athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do we have to wait until the next time you play hokey from work for another post?!!!

    ReplyDelete