Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Governor's Mansion

As the fellowship ends, I'd like to use a few posts to talk about some of my favorite things. One of the things I've most enjoyed is having access to the Governor's Mansion. The mansion was built in 1902 by Thomas Kearns. Note the TK on the doorknob.



Thomas Kearns was a prominent mining magnate and a U.S. Senator from Utah. He was not of the predominant faith for the area, and was known as the "Gentile Senator." While building the mansion, Senator Kearns sent his wife Jennie back to France to purchase artwork for the mansion, and brought in the most skilled artisans to do some magnificent woodwork.





(I love the Neptune mantle)


It was by far the most opulent mansion in Utah in its time, and had (has) an elevator, this fancy buzzer for different rooms to call people to the telephone, and even had a bowling alley in the basement.


Thomas Kearns was struck by a car and tragically killed. His wife Jennie wore only black for the rest of her life. She gave the mansion to the State of Utah to be the official residence of the Governor.





4 comments:

  1. What an amazing home. Can you imagine how cool that would be? Except, if it were mine I would want a maid to help with the cleaning. Dad just says that the heating bills are probably pretty high. But I think that living with all that history around you would be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did they tell you the ghost stories of that house???

    I wish my husband would send me to France to buy artwork for my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know any of that. I guess I wasn't listening very well during the the fifth grade field trip :) These pictures are gorgeous! They're really going to miss having such neat photographs coming in every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is all news to me too, but I didn't go on a field trip in 5th grade- so I'm good right? also- just to add to your facts... according to stories I've heard from Suzie, the mansion is an excellent location for hide and seek.

    Pretty cool stuff- and I'm with Suzie- I could stand a trip to France for some artwork!

    ReplyDelete