Saturday, March 20, 2010

More Mansion Odds & Ends

The Apollo back of a fireplace - since a fire ripped through the mansion in 1993, they don't allow fires in the fireplaces anymore. The back of this fireplace has this wonderful representation of Apollo. It is said, that when a fire burned, it looked like the horses and chariot wheels moved.

Mural in the formal dining room - the artist put the names of his children in the mural


Punchbowl of the U.S.S. Utah. Worth clicking to see the inscription and the Seal of the Department of the Navy

Detail of one of the bronze statues adorning the grand staircase. Painstakingly restored following the 1993 fire.





Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I bet that fireplace was amazing when lit. Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! That's a shame they don't use it anymore. Nice pictures! Seeing a few of your posts have made me want a set of silver. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that history! Thanks for sharing your pictures. I don't think some of us would have ever had the opportunity to see or learn about the Governors Mansion.

    ReplyDelete