The desks are original to the Capitol. The gallery is tight, but it affords a wonderful view of the action. The Senate also occassionally breaks to "saunter" when recognizing groups or individuals allowing each Senator to shake hands and express appreciation.
The architect, Richard Kletting, believed that government should be transparent, so he used skylights throughout to symbolize light and openness. The changing sun ensures that the Anasazi ruins mural seems different throughout the day.
All of these pictures are worth a click to see the detail of the room and the murals.
He also put lights on either side of the President's seat. These lamp posts are both in the House and Senate chambers.
Make sure to click this one to appreciate the way the ruins are in the shadow and the plateaus on the horizon are in the painted sunlight. Depending on the time of day you are in the chamber, this mural changes the most.
This one is very striking with its vivid blues and greens contrasting from the reds and oranges on the Southern Utah mural.






What beautiful art work. So the 'windows looking into heaven', is that suppose to mean our legislators receive direction from heaven?
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! That ceiling is amazing....I'm thinking about doing that in my bathroom. I believe all bathroom activity should be transparent.
ReplyDeleteDO all of these pictures mean that you miss your old life at the State Capitol? Maybe a little, but I'm sure you are happy to have less time on the road, and more time with your cute family.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to have Scott back, but I miss seeing him in a suit every day.
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures.
still laughing at Patti...
ReplyDeleteAHHH! You take so very fun pictures. I haven't been there since college. You're lucky to get to be there all the time.
ReplyDelete